I upgraded Text File Splitter to use .NET 4.0 and Visual Studio 2010. I have been testing different development setups to find the easiest one to get aspiring addins developers up and running quickly. The advantage with .NET 4.0 is that Management Extensability Framework (MEF) comes baked in, and I don't need external assemblies anymore. MEF is what makes it easy to load custom parts into Text File Splitter.
I've copied the code for the SplitByLine splitting strategy and modified a bit, so that I can treat it as a custom splitting strategy. I named it SplitByLineCustom. Here is how I setup this project:
I unzipped Text File Splitter 3.0 (not out yet) into the Binaries folder. Then I put the custom project and code in SplitByLineCustom. Here's what the solution looks like:
Notice that I added a reference to the FileSplitStrategyEngine assembly.
There's a couple things that need to be setup in the project's properties.
Set the start action to call the TextFileSplitterUI.exe program. This should be in the binaries forlder that we created in the beginning of this post.
Point the outpout of your project to the Binaries folder where you unzipped Text File Splitter. Once this is setup, the UI will be able to automatically pick up your custom splitting strategy.
Here you can see that the custom splitting strategy loaded into this drop down. Here is what it looks when selected:
I'm fleshing out the SDK. I will be including this solution as part of the SDK. I'm working on getting SandCastle to spit out MSDN like documentation. I'm hoping to have this done in the next couple weeks.